Many times, it is written here how Islamic law, derived from Koran and deeds of Mohammad, Prophet of Islam, makes one way traffic laws. A Muslim man can marry Non Muslim women and raise their kids as Muslims but a Muslim woman can not marry a Non Muslim man. In Sharia law, such person (Non Muslim man) is punishable by death. Similarly A Muslim can not convert to another religion and if anyone does he has to be killed; but Muslims are obliged to convert others to Islam. More ruthlessly, Islam allows parents killing their children if they think they are deviating from Islamic practices and beliefs i.e sanctifies honor killings.
Just take a look at following two incidents:
Case 1: A Muslim father kills his daughter because she wanted to marry a Hindu boy; this happened in India.
Case 2: A Christian boy has to convert to Islam to marry a Muslim girl in Pakistan, even then Muslim mob goes on violence against Christians by throwing stones at Church.
In the first case, the victim could have been Hindu boy, as I could easily recall three such incidents where Hindu boys were killed after marrying Muslim girls. All these 3 happened after infamous Rizwanur incident but media while covering that case felt not obliged to report these. But the crux of the matter is not these individual incidents but very ideology of Islam.
In the Muslim world or Non Muslim world, according to many reports, Muslims account for 91% of honor killings that take place. On a much smaller scale Sikhs were also recorded committing such crimes. Hindus were also recorded to commit these crimes but on lesser scale compared to Muslims and Sikhs. One can read on these honor crimes from here (Meforum article, very good one; it presents many important statistics regarding honor killings). If one thinks Me and meforum are Islamophobic, they can read from Robert Fisk's article with the title 'A Crime wave that shames the world' (Highly recommended to read this), (Thanks to Ru**) which appeared in the Independent news paper (UK). Here he details some incidents that took place in Pakistan and also West.
Some people might say what has religion to do with these honor crimes and Islam does not support such crimes? Some even say these are just like domestic violence or other homicides; these people definitely need to learn some definitions and root causes of these honor killings.
But in relation to religion, honor killings in Islam, as above 90% come from Islamic world, are sanctioned in Sharia law and according to the provisions in Sharia law people committing these crimes can not be punished. Many Muslims deny that their law upholds honor killings; but Sharia law explicitly states parents can neither be prosecuted nor punished for killing their offspring. Read the fourth (4th) statement under the section o1.2, from here:
-4- a father or mother (or their fathers of mothers) for killing their offspring, or offspring's offspring;As I said, every law in Sharia has sources in Koran or deeds of Prophet Mohammad. This law too is based on the below Hadith and Koranic verses 18:74, 80, 81.
Then they proceeded: until, when they met a young man, he slew him. Moses said: "Hast thou slain an innocent person who had slain none? Truly a foul (unheard of) thing hast thou done!" (YUSUF ALI, 18:74)
"As for the youth, his parents were people of Faith, and we feared that he would grieve them by obstinate rebellion and ingratitude (to Allah and man). (YUSUF ALI, 18:80)
"So we desired that their Lord would give them in exchange (a son) better in purity (of conduct) and closer in affection. (YUSUF ALI, 18:81)Read the Hadith from Sahih Muslim (Book 19, #4457):
This tradition has been narrated by the game authority (Yazid b. Hurmus) through a different chain of transmitters with the following difference in the elucidation of one of the points raised by Najda in his letter to Ibn Abas: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) used not to kill the children, so thou shouldst not kill them unless you could know what Khadir had known about the child he killed, or you could distinguish between a child who would grow up to he a believer (and a child who would grow up to be a non-believer), so that you killed the (prospective) non-believer and left the (prospective) believer aside.That means Parents can kill their offspring if they fear that they grow up to be Non Muslims or act against Islamic beliefs and tenets. It should not be a surprise now why honor killings are so frequent in Islamic world. In present day Islamic world, there are no laws that treat Honor killings like other crimes; the culprits involved in such crimes are given much less severe punishment. Sadly, many Muslim countries are not ready to fight this crime for the fear of backlash from Islamic extremists. In the above article, mentioned already, by Robert Fisk, he writes:
In August of 2008, five women were buried alive for "honour crimes" in Baluchistan by armed tribesmen; three of them – Hameeda, Raheema and Fauzia – were teenagers who, after being beaten and shot, were thrown still alive into a ditch where they were covered with stones and earth. When the two older women, aged 45 and 38, protested, they suffered the same fate. The three younger women had tried to choose their own husbands. In the Pakistani parliament, the MP Israrullah Zehri referred to the murders as part of a "centuries-old tradition" which he would "continue to defend".Similarly, Jordanian parliament rejects punishments, on par with other crimes, for honor crimes. Al-Zaheera reports:
Jordan's Parliament has rejected the senate's recommendation to uphold a law providing stiffer penalties for men who kill women in so-called "honour killings".
It is the second time in over a month that the newly-elected parliament voted to reject an amended Penal Code law which was passed by the government during parliament's absence in 2001, stipulating harsher punishment for perpetrators of honour killings.Many times, it has been found that reforms in Islamic world will be very difficult or reforms can never happen at all. To make reforms, one has to go against Koranic teachings and deeds of Mohammad, Prophet of Islam, something impossible as it amounts to admitting Koran can not be a word of God, as his laws are found to be unsuitable for present day world's situation.
Before I close this post, I am presenting some more incidents of honor crimes; actually I can put up more reports here but I have decided to present only 15 or 16 reports. In Real world, it is not entirely about individual cases, but it is also more about what Islam teaches and Islam's philosophy. It is about how Islam transforms Muslims with its teachings.
1. In Germany, a brother, Ahmad O., kills his 16 year old Muslim sister by stabbing her more than 20 times because she was not living according to Islam (Source).
2. In Spain, a Muslim father tries to kill his daughter by stabbing her but somehow she escapes. All this because he suspected that she has a Non Muslim boyfriend. (Source)
3. In Jordan, a brother shot dead his pregnant sister because she married with out permission from family members. Report also mentions, he will only be awarded much reduced punishment if requested from family i.e. if it is considered as honor killing. (Source)
4. In UK, a Muslim woman says her mother hired a hit man to kill her because of her western life style. (Source)
5. In Saudi Arabia, a woman was killed by her father because she was chatting with a man on a face book. (Source)
6. In US, a Muslim man kills his wife and infant son of 7 months old because she (his wife) was not converting to Islam. (Source)
7. In Turkey, a 16 year old girl was killed (buried alive) by her relatives for her crime of befriending boys. (Source)
8. In Arizona, US, a Muslim man kills his daughter for being too westernized by running Jeep over her. (Source)
9. In West Bank, a Muslim man kills his sister for seeing a Christian man. (Source)
10. In Montreal, Canada, a Muslim woman, from Afghanistan, attempts to kill her daughter by stabbing because she came late. (Source)
11. In UK, a Muslim father kills his daughter because she fell in love with a Non Muslim. (Source)
12. In Australia, a Muslim man kills his wife by strangling her with veil because she was not enough Muslim. (Source)
13. In Turkey, a two day old baby was killed because she was born out of wedlock. (Source.)
14. In US, a rich Muslim kills his wife and decapitates her because she wanted to divorce him. He later surrendered to police. The funny thing is, like in most cases involving Muslims, his attorneys are trying to argue that he was mentally unstable. (Source)
15. In Canada, A Muslim father with his son kills his daughter Asqa Parvez for being western in outlook. Both were given life sentences. (Source)
16. In UP, India, a Muslim girl was forced to drink acid because she fell in love with Hindu boy. (Source)
17. Finally, one of the most tragic cases: He, a Muslim man, settles in US and then marries a 16 year old US girl and has 3 children with her. When his two daughters are not living strict Islamic life, he just killed them. Watch this video: